The Importance of Regular STD Testing
As soon as people become sexually active, they all likely hear the same advice, and that is to get tested for STDs. This is not said without reason! Many who get STDs often don’t even know they have them as there can easily be no visible signs or symptoms. This is the main reason why you must get tested regularly when you are sexually active. At Michael Aziz MD, we do confidential STD testing NYC Midtown to make sure that you’re not only clean but that your privacy is protected. Dr. Michael Aziz and the rest of the team would like to share with you some tips on how to reduce your chances of getting an STD, whether you’re at particular risk to get them, and the symptoms that someone with an STD may have.
What Can You Do To Prevent STDs?
The most important thing you can do to prevent STDs is to ensure that you are taking all of the proper precautions. Most STDs can be easily spread, especially if you do not do the following:
- Wear Condoms: While condoms don’t completely mitigate the risk of STDs, they most definitely reduce the risk of getting them. Use them for the entire time you have sex, and perhaps even more importantly, learn how to use them correctly. Latex condoms are ideal, and if you’re using a lubricant, make sure that it’s water-based.
- Talk to Your Partner: It’s important to know if your partner(s) is sexually active with multiple people and that they’re getting tested regularly. It also stands that the fewer partners you have at once, the less likely you are to contract an STD.
- Maintain Good Hygiene: make sure to wash your hands before there’s any sexual contact, rinse your hands after any sexual contact, and urinate after sex.
While following these safety measures is essential, STDs can still occur if you do. That is why it is of utmost importance that you visit Dr. Michael Aziz regularly for STD testing NYC Midtown when you are sexually active.
How Do You Know If You’re At Risk?
While anyone sexually active is at risk of getting an STD, some groups are more likely to get them than others due to biological, behavioral, or cultural reasons. Among the groups who most commonly are exposed to STDs are:
- Adolescents 15-19 years of age.
- Young adults 20-24 years of age.
- Gay and bisexual men.
- Women as a whole (often suffer more seriously from STD complications than men).
What Are The Symptoms?
Depending on the STD, symptoms may vary. That is why it is important that you visit Dr. Michael Aziz for STD testing NYC Midtown if you begin to notice anything out of the ordinary. Some of the most common STD symptoms include:
- Painful or burning urination.
- Unusual vaginal bleeding.
- Swollen lymph nodes.
- Sores or bumps on the genitals.
- Uncommon discharge from the genitals.
Schedule An Appointment For STD Testing NYC Midtown
Even if you follow all the tips we’ve given above, there’s a chance that you still may get an STD. By requesting an appointment with us for STD testing NYC midtown, we can give you confidential STD testing that ensures that your privacy is protected and that your sexual health is prioritized. To learn more or to schedule an appointment, be sure to contact Dr. Michael Aziz today!